If you need assistance using the University Archives, contact Laurel Bowen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Georgia State University Course Catalogs
This collection contains undergraduate course catalogs and informational bulletins produced by Georgia State University in all of its incarnations: the downtown Atlanta location of the Georgia School of Technology's Evening School of Commerce (1914-1933), the University System of Georgia's Evening School (1933-1935), the University System of Georgia's Atlanta Extension Center (1935-1947), the Atlanta Division of the University of Georgia (1947-1955), Georgia State College of Business Administration (1955-1961), Georgia State College (1961-1969), and Georgia State University (1969-present).
Georgia State University Signal
Students at Georgia State University and its predecessors have been producing a newspaper since the 1920s: The Technite (1926-1932), The Evening Signal (1933-1943), The Junior Collegiate (1935-1943), and The Signal (1943-). The Urbanite began in 2002 as an entertainment section of the Signal and later (2006-2009) changed to a magazine format. In 2014, after a five-year pause in publication, the Urbanite was transformed into a summer freshman guide-to-campus magazine.
Georgia State University Yearbooks
Students at Georgia State University and its predecessors edited annual yearbooks from the 1930s into the 1990s. The first yearbook, NOCTURNE, featured the 1934 class of the newly independent Evening School of the University System of Georgia. (Previously, the school had been a unit of the Georgia School of Technology and had appeared in its yearbook.) In 1935, the institution became the University System of Georgia’s Atlanta Extension Center, with separate Day and Night Divisions. NOCTURNE continued as the yearbook of Georgia Evening College (the Night Division) through 1946. Atlanta Junior College (the Day Division) published its own yearbook: SURVEY (1937), JUNIOR COLLEGE (1938/39, not a student-edited publication), and GATEWAY (1939-1946). In 1947, when the University System Center became the Atlanta Division of the University of Georgia, GATEWAY and NOCTURNE combined as RAMPWAY. The yearbook continued to be published as RAMPWAY when the institution was known as the Atlanta Division (1948-1955), Georgia State College of Business Administration (1956-1961), Georgia State College (1962-1969), and finally Georgia State University (1970-1992, 1995-1996).
Georgia Perimeter College Collection
Perimeter College was founded by the DeKalb County Board of Education as DeKalb College in 1958 and offered its first classes in Clarkston, Georgia, in 1964. Its service area grew as new campuses opened and students came to the college from throughout the metro Atlanta area. In 1972, DeKalb College was renamed DeKalb Community College, later reverting back to DeKalb College when the institution became a part of the University System of Georgia in 1986. In 1997, DeKalb College was renamed Georgia Perimeter College, a two-year associate degree-granting unit of the University System of Georgia. On January 6, 2016, Georgia Perimeter College became a unit of Georgia State University.
Perimeter College consists of multiple campuses across metro Atlanta, including: the Clarkston Campus (the first campus, formerly known as "Central Campus"), established in 1958 in an unincorporated area south of Clarkston; Decatur Campus (formerly known as "South Campus"), added in 1972 in an unincorporated area south of Decatur; Dunwoody Campus (formerly known as "North Campus"), added in 1976 in the City of Dunwoody; Alpharetta Center, added in 2000 in the City of Alpharetta in north Fulton County; and Newton Campus, added in 2006 in an unincorporated area of Newton County.
This digital collection consists mainly of course catalogs, student newspapers, and yearbooks from Georgia Perimeter College. There are consistency issues in the numbering of some periodicals; when possible and clear, those issues are addressed in the metadata for affected items.
Georgia State University Archives
The growth and development of Georgia State University from an evening school of commerce to a major urban research university is documented in the records of campus administrative offices, deliberative bodies, and major extracurricular organizations. The Digital Collections include a selection of photographs from the University Archives that reflect administration, student life, and the urban landscape.
Special Collections and Archives
Phone: (404) 413-2880
Fax: (404) 413-2881
Special Collections & Archives
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur Street, SE
Atlanta, Georgia 30303-3202
Library South, 8th floor