Back to Step by Step for More Databases for Argument, Social Science, and Public Policy Papers.
Back to Science for Nonmajors.
Have you looked atStep by Step for Finding Books and Using Popular Databases,
Or Step by Step with Science and Technology Databases?
Back to Handouts for You
Search Proquest New York Times.
ProQuest offers full text access to the New York Times, a newspaper of record. Nobel laureates, Presidents, ambassadors, and others appear on its op-ed pages, and the paper offers in-depth coverage of both US politics and world affairs. To find articles in the New York Times...
1) Start at the big, Discover box on the the library web page.
2) Choose Databases A-Z, below the search box and select N or select N from the alphabet below the big search box on the library web site.
3) Scroll down and click New York Times , but NOT New York Times 1856-2012 or you will miss current articles.
4) A typical college level search often involves two ideas, for example genetic modification of salmon.
|You need to turn this topic into a statement that The New York Timesunderstands by combining the main ideas with AND. Genetic modification of salmon becomes genetically modified AND salmon. Note: you can substitute fish for salmon if you think you need more results. Similar search terms are called synonyms. Looking at the subject from an opposite point of view sometimes leads to including antonyms in a search, for example safety for accidents.|
6) Proquest presents results in groups of 20.
7) There are hints for improved searching in the light gray box at the top of the results list. Click View all to see all the "hints."
8) To see only the most current news on your subject, remove older articles, by sliding the knob toward the right in the turquoise date graph in the facet box on the left of the page.
9) You can move between pages with the Next Page and Previous Pagelinks at the bottom of the window, or you can choose a page number.
|13) To print your article, click the blue print link in the light gray box on the right of the page.|