The General Social Survey (GSS) "takes the pulse of America" on a vast number of topics, with national-level data collected beginning in 1972 to present. A great resource for any discipline!
To identify variables for the entire dataset and/or specific years:
Options for Analyzing GSS Data:
Use SDA to analyze data online analysis with no need for downloading or special software:
- Use the SDA 4.0 online analysis tool. For help using SDA 4.0, check out these SDA 4.0 video tutorials.
- Check out the "Quick Tables" options, which allow you to produce simple tables using a pre-selected subset of variables.
- Conduct simple bivariate analyses using the GSS Explorer Tabulations feature.
Download data for analysis in statistical software (e.g., SPSS, SAS, Stata, R):
- Download GSS Data directly from the GSS website (available in SAS, SPSS, or Stata format). Single year and multi-year (panel) data available.
- Download the entire GSS (available in SPSS or Stata format) via GSS Explorer.
- Create customized data extracts containing just the variables you need (available in Excel, SPSS, SAS, Stata, DDI, and R format) via GSS Explorer.
- Download the entire dataset, pre-constructed subsets, or create customized subsets of the data using SDA 4.0. For help using SDA 4.0, check out these SDA 4.0 video tutorials.