Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Sadtler Standard Spectra Collection is the one of the largest print collections of chemical spectra available.
If your spectra of interest are not available in our online databases, try the Sadtler Collection.
Sadtler Standard Spectra Collection
Sadtler Collections at GSU
Indices are located with each collection.
Notes on Materials
The UV, Fluorescence and NMR collections are in green, loose-leaf binders on Library South 4. Please take the sheet out of the binder before you make a copy and return it immediately after copying.
The IR Grating spectra collection is in the microfiche section on Library North 1, but you must have the Grating number from the index to locate the correct page of microfiche.
Using the Sadtler Collection
How to search...
- By Name: the compounds are arranged alphabetically by parent compound followed by derivatives and substitutents.
- 4'-fluorochalcone is listed under chalcone, 4'-fluoro- .
- 4-nitrodiphenylamine is listed under diphenylamine, 4-nitro- .
- If you are still having trouble locating your compound, consult other resources that offer alternate chemical names:
- Online databases including:
- Books including:
- By Molecular Formula: the compounds are arranged in Hill Order: C's, H's, and the remaining non-metals in alphabetical order (Br, Cl, F, I, N, O, P, S, and Si). Any other elements are listed in a final column as M.
- Using Spectra to Identify an Unknown Compound: Sadtler Standard Spectra Indices goes into more detail on how to use these resources.
- Standard Grating Spec-Finder (part of the Infrared Grating Index)
- NMR Chemical Shift Index (part of the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectra Index)
- Ultraviolet Spectra Locator (part of the Ultraviolet Spectra Index)
- Multiple Spectra: To find multiple spectra, look up your compound in the cumulative index; for 4'-fluorochalcone, look under C for chalcone, 4'-fluoro. The numbers in the columns indicate which pages within the collections the spectra for this compound are located. Here, that would be Infrared Grating: 13754, UV: 15717, NMR: 7434. The IR Grating, UV and NMR indices are cross-referenced with each other, but the Fluorescence index is not.
Example: Find the NMR, IR, and UV spectra for 4'-fluorochalcone.