- DeKalb General Hospital Mass Resignation Collection, 1968-1969, 1 linear foot (accession number 95-1). The collection consists of records pertaining to the mass resignation of nurses at DeKalb General Hospital in 1968-1969. These records were collected by Cathleen Conway Johnson while researching her doctoral thesis, The troubles with angels of mercy: the mass resignation of registered nurses at DeKalb General Hospital, Decatur, Georgia, January 22, 1969, at Emory University in 1994.
The records include correspondence, reports, press releases, newsletters, minutes, newspaper clippings, publications, photographs, and scrapbooks related specifically to the events at the DeKalb General Hospital and the role played by the Georgia State Nurses Association. Also included are notes and correspondence written by or pertaining to Margaret Ford, Director of Nursing at DeKalb General Hospital, and Mary Osburne, one of the nurses who resigned from DeKalb General Hospital. In addition, the collection contains publications and newspaper clippings regarding collective bargaining, labor disputes in Atlanta in 1970, and other nursing labor disputes in the United States. Finding aid available.
- The Alda Ditchfield Papers, 1935-1974, 15 linear feet (accession number G86-6). This collection relates to the Grady School of Nursing, with extensive coverage on nursing education. It also contains information on the Grady Memorial Hospital Municipal Training School for Colored Nurses. Ditchfield was an Associate Professor of Nursing at Georgia State University and President of the Georgia State Nurses Association. Box and folder inventory is available.
- Georgia State University, Annual Report to the President, 1952/53-date, 17 linear feet. These records document the School of Nursing, from its inception in 1968 as a program to a major doctoral-level school in the College of Allied Health Sciences. Reports of the Dean of the College of Allied Health Sciences discuss the program's innovative philosophy of education, accreditation, need for adequate physical facilities, emphasis on interdisciplinary teaching and clinical practice, increase in continuing education activity, grant funding, and growth in students and degrees offered. The school developed strong cooperative relationships with professional groups, not-for-profit organizations, state and federal governments, international groups, and hospitals and medical centers, and those ties are also reflected here. A list of holdings is available.
- Georgia State University, General Catalog and Graduate Bulletin, 1933-date, 5 linear feet. The education and training of nursing students is described in the University undergraduate catalogs and the College of Allied Health Sciences graduate bulletins. Catalogs and bulletins, 1968-present, provide information about the program, accreditation, faculty, admission and academic requirements, curriculum, and course descriptions. A list of holdings is available.
- Georgia State University Public Information Collections. (accession number G88-1). Includes approximately fifty images relating to the Department of Nursing at Georgia State University, 1980-1982. The images are primarily of faculty and students in the Allied Health and International Nursing programs.
- Georgia State University, School of Nursing (College of Health Sciences) Learning Research Center, 1975-1983, (accession number G88-60, G79-24). 63 video cassettes and 4 cubic feet. Videotapes of various aspects of basic and advanced nursing care. Highlights include lectures on management issues, future of nursing, anatomy, and nursing procedures. Also included are course syllabuses, exams and assignments. Not processed.
- Georgia Nurses' Association (GNA)
Corporate Note: In 1907, a small group of nurses met in Savannah, Georgia to organize the Georgia State Association of Graduate Nurses, which became the Georgia State Nurses' Association (GSNA) in 1927. In 1919, the Association was divided into four districts. By 1930, the districts were re-drawn to coincide with the state's congressional districts. The headquarters of the Association was established in 1926 in Atlanta, Georgia, where it remains.
- Georgia State Nurses' Association, Records, c.1907- c.1990, 126 linear feet(accession numbers L1994-12, L1979-26, L1976-39). These records consist of correspondence, minutes, financial statements, reports, membership rosters, directories, nursing registries, publications, news clippings, subject files, photographs, and audio tapes. The largest part of the records consists of files from the sixteen GNA district organizations, the bulk of which pertain to District 5. GNA committee files constitute a second major part of the records. These files chronicle the interests and activities of committees such as Bylaws & Constitution; Civil Defense; Civil Service; Economic & General Welfare; Finance; Legislative; Membership; and several others. Other significant parts of the records pertain to GNA sections such as Educational, General Duty, Industrial, Institutional, Private Duty, and Public Health; and to related organizations such as the American Hospital Association, American Medical Association, American Red Cross, American Nurses Association, Council on Nursing Practice, Georgia Regional Medical Program, Georgia League of Nursing Education, and Georgia State Board of Examiners of Nurses. Also represented by several files is the Student Nurses Association of Georgia. The substantial files of correspondence and minutes include several layers of state and district officers, but primarily reflect the activities of the GNA Executive Secretary and the GNA Executive Board. The subject (or reference) files include information on nursing education, nursing history, the history of Crawford Long, Grady, and Piedmont hospitals in Atlanta, Negro nurses and the education of Negro nurses, and a large number of other subjects. A small number of photographs and audio tapes complete the records. A preliminary inventory of the contents is available; the collection is cataloged in the Research Libraries Information Networ k (RLIN).
- Georgia State Nurses' Association, 5th District, Records, 1919, 1933-1968, 7.5 linear feet (accession number 80-31). The GNA's 5th District includes Fulton County and the city of Atlanta. These records consist of correspondence, minutes, financial statements, films and printed items. Included among the correspondents are organizations such as the American Nurses' Association, the Board of Nursing Examiners, the Nurses Professional Registry, and several units of the GNA, most notably the Executive Board and the Private Duty Section. The financial statements consist entirely of material pertaining to the Nurses' Professional Registry. External groups represented in the printed material include the American Nurses' Association, the Georgia Association of Licensed Practical Nurses, the Licensed Undergraduate Nurses Association of Georgia, and the National Organization of Hospital Schools of Nursing. A descriptive inventory is available; the collection is cataloged in the Research Libraries Information Network (RLIN).
- Georgia State Nurses' Association, 10th District, Records, 1912-1976, 4 linear feet (accession number 77-31). In Augusta, Georgia in 1912 the Augusta City Hospital Alumnae Association changed its name to the Graduate Nurses Association. In 1929 this group became the 10th District of the Georgia Nurses Association. This small body of records of the 10th District includes correspondence, annual reports, minutes, financial statements, and some membership data. The primary concerns of District 10 were maintenance of qualification standards, promotion of professional issues, establishment of pay scales and employment conditions, and the settlement of grievances. The records illustrate District 10's support of the Nurses' Relief Fund during the Great Depression, its strong recruitment efforts during World War II, and its continuing initiatives encouraging nurses to be active in their professional organizations at all levels. A descriptive inventory is available; the collection is cataloged in the Research Libraries Information Network (RLIN).
- Georgia State Nurses' Association, 13th District, Records, 1951-1974, 5 linear feet (accession number 77-23). The 13th District of the GNA was created in 1958 as a result of the division of the existing 5th District. The new 13th District included Cobb, Cherokee, Douglas, and Paulding counties, and that portion of Fulton County north of the Chattahoochee River. These records consist of correspondence, annual reports, financial statements, membership data, minutes, and committee materials. During the 1960s the members of District 13 initiated local science fairs and scholarship programs as recruitment tools. They also participated in the development of a program for licensed practical nurses at Kennestone Hospital. Presidents Leila Cantrell, Norma Mash, and Doris Meeks provided effective leadership for most of this period. These records include photographs, among which are several photographs of nurses at official signing ceremonies with Governors Carl Sanders and Lester Maddox, and a small format photograph of Miss Jane Van de Vrede, one of the original members of the GNA. A descriptive inventory is available.
- Grady Hospital School of Nursing Records, 1900-1984 (accession number 84-47). Chartered in 1898, the School merged with the Grady Memorial Hospital Municipal Training School for Colored Nurses (organized in 1914) in 1965. It closed after graduating its 1982 class, and merged with the Georgia State University Department of Nursing. These records consist of correspondence, minutes, printed material, and photographs documenting the history of Grady Memorial Hospital and three of its professional schools ( School of Nursing, School of Medical Technology, and School of Radiologic Technology) and the Georgia Joint Council of Paramedical Education, the Health Careers Council of Georgia, and the Georgia State Nurses' Association. A descriptive inventory is available.
- Lane Brothers Photographers Collection, ca. 1939-1975 (accession number 85-33). This photonegative collection includes approximately 70 images of Aidmore Hospital; 35 of the American Red Cross 1944-1960; 35 of Piedmont Hospital; 20 of the Georgia Baptist Hospital; as well as numerous other images of such institutions as Grady Memorial Hospital, Emory Hospital, Highview Nursing Home, St. Joseph Infirmary, and the Warm Springs Foundation. A subject heading list and topical database is available.
- Carla Schissel Papers, 1979 (accession number 79-29). These papers consist of a copy of an Emory University dissertation called The State Nurses' Association in a Georgia Context, 1907-1948, submitted in 1979 by Schissel for her doctor of philosophy degree in the Institute of Liberal Arts. In it she examines state nurses' associations in Georgia, looking at issues in nursing education, the general practice and public health nursing, black nurses' groups, and the special needs of the nursing profession.The descriptive catalog sheet gives a synopsis of the dissertation.
Pam Hackbart-Dean & Lee Eltzroth, revised August 2001