Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This free bookmarklet from Altmetric lets you instantly retrieve altmetrics data for most articles*:
Available for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
*Caveats from the altmetric.it page to keep in mind:
- The Bookmarklet only works on PubMed, arXiv or pages containing a DOI
- It only supports publishers who embed Google Scholar friendly citation metadata on their pages by default, though we're adding support for others. You can hurry along support for a particular journal by asking @altmetric for it on Twitter
- Twitter mentions are only available for articles published since July 2011
- If Altmetric started supporting a publisher after July 2011 then Twitter mentions are only available from that date onwards
What are altmetrics?
Examples of altmetric activity:
- Promotion and tenure (as a supplement to the traditional metrics)
- Grant applications
- Early impact of a work
This page of the Altmetrics for Researchers LibGuide from Duke University has excellent examples of incorporating altmetrics into the above applications.
Additional Tools and Databases with Altmetric Content
Interpreting altmetrics data