The Georgia Radio Hall of Fame was founded in 2007 to honor the work of Georgia's radio professionals and to preserve the history of Georgia radio.
The Georgia Radio Hall of Fame was a nonprofit organization based in LaGrange. Its mission was to recognize radio professionals from the state of Georgia or who worked in the state of Georgia and to preserve the history of Georgia radio. It was founded in 2007 by Sam Hale and John Long.
The Georgia Radio Hall of Fame recognized two categories of inductees - career achievement (for living radio professionals) and legacy (for deceased radio professionals). Members of the organization nominated and selected the career achievement inductees and legacy inductees. The Induction Awards event was held annually.
The organization also bestowed three awards, the Founders and Directors Award, Elmo Ellis Spirit Award, and Horizon Award:
Georgia Radio Museum
Since the organization's inception, members donated Georgia radio memorabilia, audio recordings, and photographs. In 2014, a small display was set up in St. Marys, Georgia. In 2017, it was moved to LaGrange, Georgia and in 2021, permanently moved to Columbus, Georgia.
In 2013, a digital exhibit documenting the history of radio broadcasting in Georgia since its inception in 1922 was unveiled at Georgia State University. The exhibit was created by GSU graduate students, the former Popular Music and Culture Archivist, Kevin Fleming, and John Long, co-founder and president of the Georgia Radio Hall of Fame.
Phone: (404) 413-2880
Fax: (404) 413-2881
Special Collections & Archives
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur Street, SE
Atlanta, Georgia 30303-3202
Library South, 8th floor