Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Absence and Tardiness
- Planned Absence
- If you know that you will not be able to attend work on a particular day that you are scheduled, email your supervisor at least 5 days prior to the absence.
- If you are sick and unable to work, please call your supervisor at least 1 hour prior to your scheduled start time.
- In the event of an emergency, please call your supervisor as soon as possible.
- If you must be out for an extended period of time (3 or more days) due to illness, please bring in a note from your doctor for the Associate Department Head and/or your supervisor.
- If you know that you are running late, please call in to let other staff know. The Decatur campus library main number is 678-891-2585.
Student assistants are expected to dress semi-professionally during the semester.
The following items are not appropriate for the work place:
- Clothing with offensive words and/or language
- Clothing advertising alcohol and/or recreational drugs
- Flip flops, baseball caps, spaghetti straps, and spandex (exercise clothing)
As a representative of Georgia State University, you are expected to observe good daily hygiene habits and maintain personal cleanliness.
If you come to work in clothing that is not appropriate for the work place, you will be asked to go home and change. You will not be compensated for the time it takes you to drive home and back.
Expectations for Student Employees
As an employee of Georgia State University, you will be expected to follow all policies of the university and of the University System of Georgia.
Working at the library, you are expected to be respectful and courteous with all students, faculty, staff, and campus guests.
Hours of Work
- Our campus library is open 7:45 AM to 9 PM Monday through Thursday, 7:45 AM to 5:15 PM Friday, and 10 AM to 4 PM Saturday. Your schedule will need to fit within the normal operating hours of the campus library.
- Prior to the start of the semester, class schedules must be submitted to Amber Moore, your supervisor, for assignment of semester work schedule.
- A scheduled shift will, in most cases, be a minimum of 3 hours long, with exceptions for special events, meetings, and training.
- If the assigned schedule needs an adjustment, requested changes must be submitted no less than 3 days prior to your affected shift.
- You are expected to be on time for your shift and to call in if you will be more than 10 minutes late.
- Repeated failure to give appropriate notification may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
- Bags and personal belongings should be stored in the cabinet in the SA3130 work room that has been set aside for that purpose.
- Bags and personal belongings should not be left in any place where they could cause a trip hazard or block access to library equipment or materials.
- Student assistants share work areas, so it is important to keep common areas neat and clean. Please make sure you clean up after yourself.
- Save any work being done on the computer and log off when you are finished for the day.
- A desk in the SA3130 work room has been set aside for student employees. Please do not use any other employee's desk, in whole or in part, unless given permission by that employee.
- Computers, printers, copiers, and workstations are to be used for work. Do not use this equipment for school assignments or personal use before or after your shift.
- When working at the service desk, the sound should be turned off of the computer on which you are stationed. Headphones are not permitted at the service desk.
- Non-work related websites should not be visited on the computer in the SA3130 work room.
- If there is a problem with any equipment, talk with your supervisor.
If you need to resign from your position, please give your supervisor at least two weeks of notice.
Notice should be typed and sent via email to your supervisor.
Food and Drinks
No food should ever be consumed at the service desk. You may have a drink provided it is in a container with a lid.
Recording Time and Payroll
Hours are recorded via the web clock in OneUSG Connect.
- You create a time stamp when you arrive and leave for the day, and when you take lunch breaks while scheduled for long shifts.
- If you make a mistake, forget to clock out, or are having issues, let your supervisor know immediately.
Failure to record your time may result in errors or loss in pay. It is your responsibility to keep your supervisor informed of issues regarding your time and payroll.
Warnings and Disciplinary Actions
Habitual and patterned behaviors will result in disciplinary actions from verbal and written warnings up to termination.
Unacceptable behavior includes but is not limited to:
- Surfing the internet on the work room computer
- Playing on your cell phone
- Downloading unnecessary programs to work computers
- Keeping library materials an excessive amount of time after due date
- Wearing inappropriate attire to work
- Checking out more items than allowable on your or a friend's account
- Back-dating a return to avoid a late fee
- Taking any library-use-only items out of the library without prior permission
- Social visits during scheduled work shifts
- Taking timed tests during scheduled work shifts
- Unexcused tardiness and absences
Be aware that your employment can be terminated at any time without warning.
Certain acts will result in immediate termination. They include, but are not limited to:
- Theft of supplies and materials
- Violation of university policy
- Repeated insubordination (defiance of authority) and disrespectful behavior
- Falsifying and misuse of personal information
- Physical violence
- Being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs