Most of the library's article databases allow you to search for book reviews. Use the Advanced Search option to do so.
Here's how you would search for book reviews in Philosopher's Index:
- Go to the Philosopher's Index database:
- From the Basic Search screen, click on the Advanced Search option (under the search box).
- On the Advanced Search screen, click on (highlight) "Book Review" under the "Document Type" option in the "Limit your results" section of the page (near the bottom, left-hand side of the page).
- Then, in the search fields above, type either the title of the book for which you want to find a review or a subject area to find book reviews on a particular topic or issue.
- You can also search for Review Essays (reviews that look at an issue by covering the major works written on the topic) by typing "review essay" (in quotes) into one of the search boxes and the issue or name of the philosopher into a separate box.
In databases that do not have a "Book Review" limiting option, you can simply type the words "book review" (in quotes) into one of the Advanced Search option search boxes and then either the title of a specific book or a topic.
In addition, there are a few philosophy journals that review books on a regular bases. Here's a list of the best ones:
- Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
An open-acess journal entirely devoted to publishing substantive, high-quality book reviews (normal length: 1500-2500 words). Use the links under the home page banner to access the reviews.
- Philosophy in Review
An open access, specialist book review journal in philosophy. Current reviews are near the bottom of the home page. For older reviews, click on the "Archives" link under the green banner at the top of the page.
The library maintains subscriptions with the following journals. Click on the link to access the titles. After clicking on a link, a new browser window will open informing you of the databases in which the journal is indexed. Most will be indexed in several databases, however, the EBSCO databases (when available) are usually the easiest to browse and search.
- Philosophical Review
Publishes original work in all areas of analytic philosophy, but emphasizes material that is of general interest to academic philosophers.
Covers epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of language, philosophy of logic, and philosophy of mind.
- Philosophy & Phenomenological Research
Publishes articles in a wide range of areas including philosophy of mind, epistemology, ethics, metaphysics, and philosophical history of philosophy.
Publishes scholarly work in moral, political, and legal philosophy from a variety of intellectual perspectives, including social and political theory, law, and economics.
- Journal of Philosophy
Publishes articles of current interest and encouraging the interchange of ideas.
- Philosophical Quarterly
Publishes "high-quality articles from leading international scholars across the range of philosophical study."