Information sources for business come in a variety of types. Some of the most common types you will use include:
The Atlanta Business Chronicle(ABC) and Book of Lists Online are accessible through the Robinson College of Business' Career Advancement Center's Handshake. All students can access Handshake by first creating an account with your GSU campus ID and password. Once in Handshake, you will see the access codes (user ID and password) that you can use to sign-in the Robinson's Atlanta Business Chronicle account.
Here are the steps:
1. Sign-in or Create a Handshake Account with your campus ID and password. If Handshake recognizes you as a Robinson student, you will be able to find ABC and the Book of Lists under the Resources tab. If not, follow Step 2-4 to access these resources.
2. Click here to view the access codes for the Atlanta Business Chronicle
3. Click on the Atlanta Business Chronicle link provided on that page, then go to the upper right corner and sign in with the access codes.
4. Once in the Atlanta Business Chronicle, the Book of Lists is located in the left hand-side "Your News" column and under "Digital Edition."
Please contact Robinson's Career Advancement Center if you have further questions.
The Library has a number of books focused on communication in business. Some of these items are listed below. To find others, check the items close to these on the library shelves, or try searching for some of these terms:
1. Is your company private or public? To determine if your company is private or public, use ReferenceUSA.
2. If your company is private or non-public, continue to retrieve data from ReferenceUSA. Financial information for private companies may be limited since they are not required to file with governmental agencies. The financial estimates available on ReferenceUSA should meet the requirements for your BCOM assignment. SWOT analyses and company profile reports of large non-public companies such as Enterprise Holdings, Chick-Fil-A, Cox Communications are available on Business Search Collection or Business Source Complete.
3. If your company is public, you can still use Reference USA and Business Search Collection/Complete, but MergentOnline provides more complete information on public companies. NOTE: If you can't access Mergent while off-campus, please download the GSU VPN so you will be in the access range. Click HERE to download the GSU VPN.
4. For customer and SWOT analyses, use the "Company Profiles" in Business Source Complete to get the full reports. Note: Smaller private or startups and public companies may not be available. Please contact your Business Librarian for additional research help.
5. For your company's core values and motivation forces, use the company descriptions in the databases, but the best source can be found on the company websites. The links to the company websites are listed in databases. At the company website, you can look for this type of information under the "Vision & Mission", "About Us", or "Who Are We" headings.
6. For specific instructions on how to find company information, please review the video tutorials below and the "Research Companies" Box.
For the intercultural communication assignment, you are asked to find concrete company examples to illustrate the concepts for how the key norms and values drive the business culture in the country chosen. Below are some library resources to help you find evidence for your research project: