Information sources for business come in a variety of types. Some of the most common types you will use include:
Robinson College of Business students, faculty and staff have full access to the Atlanta Business Chronicle online. The Atlanta Business Chronicle will compliment your academic learning with local Business News throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area, and across 18 different industries locally. Access the Atlanta Business Chronicle Weekly Edition, Books of Lists, Local Search Archives, Back Issues from the past six years, and much more!
To gain access, simply click on the Link below to “Create Your Free Membership/Business Journal password” or Sign-In if you already have a Business Journal password tied to your university email address for instant access with your @student.gsu.edu or @gsu.edu email address: https://www.bizjournals.com/register/atlanta?r=%2Fatlanta%2F
Business Journal Training Video: This 4-minute video gives students, faculty and staff great insights to what the Business Journal offers users with their access and how to best navigate the site:
Please contact Robinson's Career Advancement Center if you have further questions.
1. Is your company private or public? To determine if your company is private or public, use ReferenceUSA.
2. If your company is private or non-public, continue to retrieve data from ReferenceUSA. Financial information for private companies may be limited since they are not required to file with governmental agencies. The financial estimates available on ReferenceUSA should meet the requirements for your BCOM assignment. SWOT analyses and company profile reports of large non-public companies such as Enterprise Holdings, Chick-Fil-A, Cox Communications are available on Business Search Collection or Business Source Complete.
3. If your company is public, you can still use Reference USA and Business Search Collection/Complete, but MergentOnline provides more complete information on public companies. NOTE: If you can't access Mergent while off-campus, please download the GSU VPN so you will be in the access range. Click HERE to download the GSU VPN.
4. For customer and SWOT analyses, use the "Company Profiles" in Business Source Ultimate/Complete to get the full reports. Note: Small private or startups and public companies may not be available. The assignment allows you to use the industry SWOT analyses if you can't find the company SWOT. Use IBISWorld to find industry SWOT analyses. To sign-in IBISWorld, click "Sign in with SSO," then enter your GSU email. Please contact your Business Librarian for additional research help.
5. For your company's core values and motivation forces, use the company descriptions in the databases, but the best source can be found on the company websites. The links to the company websites are listed in databases. At the company website, you can look for this type of information under the "Vision & Mission", "About Us", or "Who Are We" headings.
6. For specific instructions on how to find company information, please review the video tutorials below and the "Research Companies" Box.
For the intercultural communication assignment, you are asked to find concrete company examples to illustrate the concepts for how the key norms and values drive the business culture in the country chosen. Below are some library resources to help you find evidence for your research project:
The Library has a number of books focused on communication in business. Some of these items are listed below. To find others, check the items close to these on the library shelves, or try searching for some of these terms: