1. Telephone & Messages
- If the phone rings while you are talking to a patron, excuse yourself to answer it.
- Be ready to take a message or transfer a call to the appropriate staff person. Give messages to your supervisor.
- If you cannot answer a question, find your supervisor or someone who can.
- If there is no one to help, take down the user's name, contact information (email & phone), and their inquiry and leave a note for your supervisor. You may also provide the user with the reference email, email@example.com if they would like to send their detailed inquiry.
- If you answer a service desk telephone, please begin by introducing yourself. For Example: "Special Collections & Archives, this is Jennifer, how may I help you?"
- Get as much information from the person on the phone as possible.
- No homework or outside work can be done on the desk.
- When you are at work your main priorities are watching the desk, helping researchers, and any job duties or tasks that you have been assigned for your specific position,
3. Texting/Cell Phones/Headphones
- Cell phone use while on the desk is strictly prohibited.
- If you need to make a personal call let your supervisor know, office phones are for business use only.
- Headphones are NOT PERMITTED while on the front desk.
4. Opening & Closing Duties
- Log into the student log-in on the front desk computer.
- Check if any holds are expired & need to be returned to the back.
- Check if any items are on the return cart & need to be returned to the back.
- Check voicemail. If there is a message, write it down and give to your supervisor.
- Are there any other messages left on the desk? If so, hand to supervisor.
- File any forms in the "To Be Filed" folder.
- Ask supervisor what work needs to be done.
- Clean up the desk area.
- Push in chairs, clean up researchers tables if needed.
- Save your work.
- Log off the front desk, researcher, & student computer.
- File all registration/duplication forms.
- Make sure all returns and holds are on the cart, or the holds shelf.
- Turn off the lights.
- Lock the reading room door & close it.
- A staff member will be responsible for closing the gallery, bathrooms, & entrance door. You are only responsible for the Reading Room.
5. Registration Forms
- The registration forms, duplication forms, camera use policies are all available on this libguide & in the front desk drawer. Please make copies if they are running low.
6. Reference Statistics
- Track your reference stats on a scale from 1-4. Your supervisor will explain how to track these.