1. Hours of work
- Student Schedules
- Our offices are open from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Your schedule will need to fit within the normal operating hours of the department.
- A scheduled shift must be a minimum of 2 hours long for students working the back, and a minimum of 1 hour for students working on the front desk.
- If you work in the processing areas, please alert your supervisor of permanent changes to your schedule no less than one week in advance of the anticipated change.
- If you work the front desk, your scheduled hours are less flexible and you must consult with the Reading Room supervisor well in advance if you must make a change.
- 8th Floor
- No student is allowed on the 8th floor without a full time staff or faculty member present.
- Students are only permitted in the 8th floor stacks area if they are working.
- You are expected to be on time for your shift and to call in if you will be more than 10 minutes late.
- Repeated failure to give the appropriate notification may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
- Planned Absence
- If you know that you will not be able to attend work on a particular day that you are scheduled, please email your supervisor ASAP.
- If an emergency situation prevents you from being at work, please call the department as soon as possible. Talk with your supervisor, or leave a message with the front desk (404.413.2880).
- If an employee is chronically late, the employee will be given the opportunity to rectify the situation with an adjustment of the schedule.
- If the employee works the front desk, there may not be flexibility to adjust their schedule. Please be thoughtful about your semester schedule.
4. Recording Time/ Payroll
- Hours are recorded through the ADP system.
- You create a time stamp when you arrive and leave for the day, and any break longer than 15 minutes.
- If you make a mistake, or forget to clock in or out, let your supervisor know immediately.
- Failure to record your time in the ADP system may result in errors or loss in your pay.
- It is your responsibility to keep your supervisor informed of issues regarding your time and payroll.
- When you work for four consecutive hours, you may take a fifteen-minute break. If you take a lunch break, you will need to sign out and back in.
- The purpose of the break is to provide a rest period. Breaks cannot be used to make up lost time or to leave early.
- Habitual and patterned unacceptable behaviors will result in disciplinary actions from verbal and written warnings up to termination.
- Unacceptable behavior includes but is not limited-
- Surfing the Internet
- Playing with your phone
- Downloading unnecessary programs to computer workstations
- Studying or working on school assignments
- Unexcused tardiness and absences
- Disturbing or distracting colleagues.
7. Termination of Employment
- Be aware that your employment can be terminated at any time without a warning.
- Immediate Termination
- Certain acts will result in immediate termination.
- They include, but are not limited to, theft of supplies and removing items from the archives.
- If you are resigning from your position, please give your supervisor at least two weeks notice.
- As with any employee of Georgia State University, student assistants are expected to provide reasonable effort and productivity as well as adhere to rules and regulations of the department nad the libraries, and to accept customs and standards of courtesy, conduct, and cooperation. Dismissal may occur if the supervisor determines that the student assistant's performance or personal conduct is unsatisfactory.
8. Personal Items
- Employees who work in the stacks work room area are not allowed to take bags – including purses, backpacks and gym bags— in the stacks work room area.
- Bags and personal belongings should be stored on the shelves in the inner office area.
9. Work Area
- Student assistants share work areas, so it is important to keep common areas neat and clean.
- Save any work being done on the computer and log off the computer when you are finished for the day.
10. Food and Drink
- No food or drink is allowed while you are working in the stacks, with archival materials, or in the Reading Room.
- There is a small staff room with a refrigerator and microwave in the kitchen area. You are welcome to use the break room, but must help to maintain a clean kitchen and break area.
- You can eat in the kitchen or the Colloquium Room if it isn’t being used for a meeting or event.
11. Telephone and Cell Phone Use
- Please speak with supervisor before making a person call on the office phone. No long distance personal calls allowed.
- Use cell phones near elevators – Do not disturb patrons in reading room or gallery.
- Limit text messaging.
12. Office Equipment Use
- Do not use for school assignments before or after your shift.
- Non-work related purposes is not permitted.
- If there's a problem with the equipment, talk to your supervisor.
13. Dress Code
- We do not have a formal dress code, however you will need to dress appropriately for work shifts. Sometimes we have special guests and you may be asked to dress up for the visit. You will be given advance notice.
- No tank tops.
- "Short" shorts.
- No pajamas.
- No offensive clothes can be worn.
- Underwear cannot be seen.
- Clean clothes.
- Please dress appropriately for customers.