Selected Works independent of ScholarWorks
Due to shrinking budgets and increasing costs, the Georgia State University Library is forced to make difficult choices about the products, services, and resources we provide to our community.
Unfortunately, as of January 2014, the library no longer has the budget to fund the SelectedWorks publishing platform.
Don’t worry – SelectedWorks will remain open access, and Georgia State University authors will continue to see their SelectedWorks publications freely available to the world. All this really means is that SelectedWorks will cease to be branded as a Georgia State University product.
Authors are encouraged to continue to post their works-in-progress, articles, books, and other publications to SelectedWorks, which will still be hosted by Digital Commons and published by bepress. Authors with publications in SelectedWorks will continue to receive reports from bepress regarding downloads of their publications.
This change will in no way impact ScholarWorks @ Georgia State University, which will continue to receive full technical and customer service support from library staff.
What Is Selected Works?
- Are websites where faculty can collect and highlight their research and teaching endeavors.
- Are customizable, easy to create and use, and “provide faculty with clean, elegantly designed scholarly publication pages.”
- Highlight scholarly works (including publications*, gray literature, or unpublished materials), provide a place for course materials, or highlight research faculty have advised.
- Provide evidence in promotion and tenure documentation through monthly readership reports.
Note: you must have the copyright, or have the copyright holder's (usually the publisher) permission, to post published works.
Why Use Selected Works?
Many faculty ask, "I already have a faculty web page, why do I need, or want, a SelectedWorks site?"
Some advantages of a SelectedWorks site include:
- Control – you're in charge of your site, no need to contact an administrator to change something.
- Aesthetics – An attractive layout that you don’t have to maintain or have any technical knowledge to create.
- Access – Anywhere in the world, anytime, day or night
- Flexibility – personalize content and categories.
- Networking – Research community building via a searchable world-wide network of other scholars' SelectedWorks sites and galleries with whom you can network.
- Portability – if you leave Georgia State University your SelectedWorks page goes with you (you may need to change your email address, or just use a non-university email to create your account).
- Reports – The ability to see how often your work is being used via Readership Reports.
- Visibility & Dissemination – Increased use and visibility of your work since it will be indexed by Google.
- Open Access – to your works for your students & fellow scholars.
Still Not Sure? Want More Information?
Contact Us for individual help