What Is Selected Works?
- Are websites where faculty can collect and highlight their research and teaching endeavors.
- Are customizable, easy to create and use, and “provide faculty with clean, elegantly designed scholarly publication pages.”
- Highlight scholarly works (including publications*, gray literature, or unpublished materials), provide a place for course materials, or highlight research faculty have advised.
- Provide evidence in promotion and tenure documentation through monthly readership reports.
- Help give an overview of the scholarly activity of the university when gathered into SelectedWorks Galleries.
Note: you must have the copyright, or have the copyright holder's (usually the publisher) permission, to post published works.
Why Use Selected Works?
Many faculty ask, "I already have a faculty web page, why do I need, or want, a SelectedWorks site?"
Some advantages of a SelectedWorks site include:
- Control – you're in charge of your site, no need to contact an administrator to change something.
- Aesthetics – An attractive layout that you don’t have to maintain or have any technical knowledge to create.
- Access – Anywhere in the world, anytime, day or night
- Flexibility – personalize content and categories.
- Networking – Research community building via a searchable world-wide network of other scholars' SelectedWorks sites and galleries with whom you can network.
- Portability – if you leave Georgia State University your SelectedWorks page goes with you (you may need to change your email address, or just use a non-university email to create your account).
- Reports – The ability to see how often your work is being used via Readership Reports.
- Visibility & Dissemination – Increased use and visibility of your work since it will be indexed by Google and can be easily pulled into the ScholarWorks @ Georgia State University which gives the work more impact and authority in Google searches.
- Open Access – to your works for your students & fellow scholars.
Still Not Sure? Want More Information?
Contact Us for individual help